When I found out that the author is part of ISKON I didn’t want to read this book. The reason being I am not a religious person. Then I thought let me start reading the book, if I don’t like it I can always stop reading it.
But am I glad that I picked this book. How is this book different from other such books? Only one thing. He uses real-life experiences to explain things. At the end of every chapter, there is a summary which is good since we just need to remember the important points. After reading the book you will know how to balance between personal life and work life
There are four parts to the book.
- Personal life
4. Social contribution
What i learned from this book
- Dont let negativity come to your mind. True, problems are there. One should always think that there are people worse off than you. Just walk into a hospital. I am sure you will find people worse off than yourself. Next there are people who don’t have money to get treated. You might have money to get treated. If in any difficult situation think : This too shall pass.
2. Gratitude is the key to remaining positive and happy. Be grateful for the small things in life. We always look at the bigger picture. Gopal’s daughter was diagnosed with cancer. On the day of her birthday, she was sad that she was in the hospital and could not celebrate her birthday. So her room was decorated. Small things matter in life
3. Believe me we all have inner strength. Use it to remove negativity. Is there any positive situation in the situation you are in?
4. The eyes are the windows to the world. What or how we perceive a particular situation is up to us.
5. Don’t ever treat non-living in a bad manner. The reason being insensitivity could become our general attitude.
Till now I was talking about the first two parts of the book.
Now comes the part the interesting part :Work life
- We always keep on seeing what others are better. We are always in competition with others . You should not compete with others but with others. I am author of a book. So i don’t see how many books stephen king has. I look at how i can improve my writing.
I have decided to write every day, practice makes perfect.
2. Ever heard of the Japanese word Ikigai?It means a reason to live. There are four traits we need to look into or understand.
What do we love?
What are we good at?
What does the world need?
What can we be paid for?
If you are older and have not yet figured out the purpose of life then love what you have to do and do what you have to do.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. The fourth is about social contribution. There is so much I have learned from this book and applied it to my life. What is in this book should be applied. When reading the book you might find things that are important to you but not to me so I did not give in the review.